Anyone who has ever looked at photographs from the last century has noticed a certain eerie quality to them, especially blurry or discolored black and white photographs. It’s like traveling to an alternate world and seeing how people lived in those strange times. Spoiler alert: Things got absorbed then.
As beautiful as family photos are, some old photos can be eerie or creepy. One look at these pictures would scare a regular person out of their sanity. The scariest thing about these photos is that they are actually real. No photoshop. No CGI. Cruel fragments of the past.
Let’s dig in!
1. Let’s start with an appetizer. The year is 1937, and these are the weirdest department store mannequins nobody remembers: Mickey, Donald, and Cow.
2. Contortion art has never been ordinary, but this film from London, 1894, blows any horror movie out of the water.
3. Incredible Halloween costumes from the 1930s.
4. In 1916, these flame-retardant suits helped Austro-Hungarian sailors fight flash fires and heatstroke. Now they have come to haunt your dreams.
5. Old-school Disney cosplay doesn’t look this creepy.
6. A cartoon witch posing in front of a bomb?
7. Disney’s implementations back then were not confusing.
8. Nothing like a refreshing shower after a long nap.
9. No context here, just pure dream fuel.
10. One of the Chornobyl disaster responders pushes a baby carriage. One can only guess what’s inside.
11. Here’s what the inside of a toy factory looked like.
12. Have you heard of Rasputin? Now you know what that Russian psycho looked like.
13. Halloweens were much scarier in the 1980s.
14. Someone found this cursed photo on the wall of an old mansion.
15. Oh, what’s that? It’s a regular old baby cage. No big deal.
16. Dedicated Mickey Mouse fans at the theater in Ocean Park, California.
17. A few wax figures were miraculously saved after the fire at Madame Tussauds.
18. Lastly, here’s what feels like a great character concept for a TTRPG featuring vampires in a Wild West setting.